Abstract: “Many medical oncologists recommend chemotherapy for virtually any tumor, with a hopefulness undiscouraged by almost invariable failure.” Dr Albert Braverman MD, Professor of Oncology, State University of New York. “Should I ever get cancer, I would never ever allow myself to be treated in a conventional cancer clinic. Only cancer victims who stay away from such centres would have a chance of survival.” ~ Prof. Dr. Georges Mathé, a French cancer specialist and Oncologist.
Yeong Sek Yee & Khadijah Shaari
10, Jalan SS 19/1K, 47500 Subang Jaya, Selangor.
Tel: 03-56342775 / 019-3278092
9) CANCER BREAKTHROUGH YOU’VE NEVER HEARD OF by Dr Richard Evans, MD. (Dr Evans pursued specialty training in general surgery at the University of California School of Medicine and further Surgical Oncology at the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center).
Some cancers are resistant to the effects of some drugs or develop resistance during treatment. Resistance to chemotherapy has been associated with a gene called the multiple drug resistance gene (MDR-1).In addition to this gene, chemotherapy faces other barriers. The blood supply in a tumor is not uniform, since the growth of blood vessels within a tumor is no more organized than the growth of the tumor itself. Furthermore, cancers are often very hard and are under great pressure. This also limits the flow of blood into a tumor and reduces the amount of chemotherapy that effectively reaches the tumor (page 100)
After surgery, small numbers of cancer cells in distant parts of the body may attempt to form metastases. Adjuvant chemotherapy is given to a patient whose tumor has been completely removed, but who is at a high risk for developing recurrence. Chemotherapy is thought to be most effective on small clusters of tumor cells. Unfortunately, it has not been as effective in prolonging overall survival–real prolonged life. Chemotherapy suppresses the growth of microscopic cancer cells, so that the doctor and patient continue to consider the patient to be free of all cancer. After the chemotherapy is completed, the cancer cells can start growing again (pages 100&101).
10) DOCTOR, I HAVE CANCER. CAN YOU HELP ME? By Dr Ang Peng Tiam, medical director of the Parkway Cancer Centre, is a Singapore President’s Scholar and a leading senior consultant medical oncologist in Singapore.
In chapter 8, Miracle Cures that Harm, Dr Ang wrote …. “Even the most expensive and powerful drugs in the world are useless, sometimes” (page 82)
Further, Dr Ang explained:-
Generally, patients who have fought cancer for some time are harder to treat, for several reasons:-
a) First, the body is usually weaker. Many chemotherapy drugs have residual long-term side effects, such as an impaired bone marrow function, numbness or peripheral nerve damage. If the patient is treated in a similar way again, his body may not be able to tolerate the treatment as well. (page 81).
b) Second, the drugs that have been used before cannot be used again… so the number of effective drugs that a doctor can use against a particular cancer gets fewer and fewer, as patients get repeated courses of chemotherapy (page 81).
c) Thirdly, cancers that have been exposed to many different drug treatments tend to be more resistant to chemotherapy (page 81).
11) EVERYONE’S GUIDE TO CANCER THERAPY by Dr. Malin Dollinger, MD and Dr Ernest Rosenbaum, MD and 2 other doctors – both are Clinical Professors of Medicine, and are experts in Medical Oncology at the University of California, LA.
In chapter 8–What Happens in Chemotherapy, the authors shed some light on drug resistance and why drug resistance develops; (see page 73 and 74).
Resistance is one very common reason why these agents (chemo drugs) fail to do what they’re supposed to. A course of chemotherapy is often quite successful at first. The cancer responds, leading to a remission. By then, even though the drugs are still being given, there is a relapse and the cancer starts to grow again. A resistance to therapy has developed just like the resistance to penicillin or other antibiotics that can develop when treating an infection.
When this happens, the drugs in the treatment program have to be changed. Unfortunately, if you develop resistance to one drug or group of drugs, there may be less chance that your body will respond to another drug program.
Why Resistance Develops
One of the mysteries of cancer therapy is why some people respond well to a treatment while others have problems. About 10 years ago, research on drug resistance led to speculation that multiple resistances developed during therapy and that this was responsible for progressive and uncontrollable metastatic disease. More recent research has begun to explain how cancer cells become resistant to drugs. There is a protein called P-glycoprotein on the surface of a cancer cell. This protein acts like a pump, regulating the passage of drugs into and out of the cancer cell. Tumor cells with large amounts of P-glycoprotein may not allow any drug to enter. This of course, makes chemo ineffective.
There are now ways to measure the amount of this protein, so it can often be predicted whether a cancer will be resistant to chemotherapy. P-glycoprotein genes have also been discovered, which may explain why some cells in a tumor are resistant to drugs while others are not. This in turn may explain why some drugs are not effective when administered even when a drug-sensitivity test indicated that the tumor should be sensitive to a certain drug. Researchers are trying to overcome drug resistance related to P-glycoprotein. (Page 74).
12) INFORMED DECISIONS- THE COMPLETE BOOK OF CANCER DIAGNOSIS, TREATMENT AND RECOVERY by THE AMERICAN CANCER SOCIETY and compiled by Dr Gerald Murphy, MD, former chief medical officer of the ACS. Dr Murphy is a urologist and a Surgical Oncologist.
Drug resistance is very clearly explained on page 177. Sometimes cancer cells do not respond at all to chemotherapy, or the drugs work well for some time but then the cancer cells begin to flourish again despite continued treatment. Some cells do not respond because they are in areas of the body that anticancer drugs cannot easily reach, such as the central nervous system. Other types of cells are inherently resistant to drugs, and some cells develop resistance in ways that are not entirely clear.
Cancer cells that are easily destroyed with chemotherapy at the start of treatment can develop multidrug resistance, meaning that the cell is resistant not only to the drugs it has been exposed to but also to new ones. It seems that when cells are bombarded with anticancer drugs, a defense mechanism is activated that is effective against many anticancer drugs. (page 177).
13) THE TRUTH ABOUT BREAST HEALTH, BREAST CANCER by Dr Charles B. Simone, MD, a Medical Oncologist at the National Cancer Institute, and Radiation Oncologist at the University of Pennsylvania.
Dr Simone, a world renowned cancer specialist, writes very frankly the truth about breast cancer without emotion or influence from the medical establishment, pharmaceutical industry, etc. In the book, Dr Simone writes extensively on lifestyle modification, nutrition, antioxidants and other cancer-fighting nutrients, etc. But in the chapter on Systemic Treatment for Breast Cancer, Dr Simone made some radical comments about chemotherapy which we summarized below:-
a) Adjuvant systemic therapy for breast cancer patients with positive nodes…. citing various studies…. “Analysis of these data revealed the overall survival benefit is quite small.” Adjuvant systemic therapy lowered the relative risk of death by about 25% meaning that the real benefit translates to about 4% for a person who actually has a 10-20% risk of dying from breast cancer in the first 5 years (page 215).
b) Adjuvant systemic treatment for breast cancer patients with negative nodes….”the lifespan was the same for those who received treatment and for those who did not … (page216).
c) Chemotherapy has little or no influence in diminishing the rate of bone or other organ metastases. And no matter what combination of drugs is used, chemotherapy does not improve the survival rate (lifespan)… (page 214).
d) When patients relapse after receiving combination chemotherapy, second-line chemotherapeutic agents are not very effective. (page 214)
e) Hormonal therapy and chemotherapy afford the same average duration of response, disease-free-interval, and survival. Chemotherapy is no more curative than hormonal therapy, and it is much more toxic. So why is chemotherapy still used? (page228)
f) Patients with cancer have grown up listening to organized cancer groups, physicians and media extolling the virtues of chemotherapy. The more often you hear it, the more you believe that if you have cancer, you must have chemotherapy. (page 228)
g) Most oncologists advise chemotherapy believing it will improve survival when it actually does not. (page 228)
h) The Lancet editorial staff wrote on February 6, 1993, “Breast Cancer: Have We Lost Our Way?” The editorial stated “… we acknowledge the failures of primary therapy and secondary prevention” (page 229)
i) The Lancet convened a conference in 1994 to review new issues to help breast cancer patients and acknowledge the failure of existing treatment. The Lancet staff concluded: “CHEMOTHERAPY IN THE MANAGEMENT OF BREAST CANCER HAS A DIM FUTURE” (page229)
Dr Simone’s concluding comment… “Survival for breast cancer patients has changed little since 1930, using conventional treatment.” (Page 229).
14) THE CONTRIBUTION OF CYTOXIC CHEMOTHERAPY TO 5-YEAR SURVIVAL IN ADULT MALIGNANCIES
One of the best large-scale studies on the effectiveness of chemotherapy treatments was published in 2004. This important study, was published in the journal “Clinical Oncology (2004)16:549-560). The above study looked at the number of cancer patients who survived more than 5 years following diagnosis and treatment – the conclusion: overall, chemotherapy contributes just over 2% to improved survival in cancer patients in Australia and USA.
All the 3 authors of the study are ONCOLOGISTS. Lead author Associate Professor Graeme Morgan is a radiation oncologist at Royal North Shore Hospital in Sydney; Professor Robyn Ward is a Medical Oncologist at University of New South Wales, and Dr Michael Barton, is a radiation oncologist at the Liverpool Health Service, Sydney.
At a radio talk show, Prof. Michael Boyer, chief of medical oncology at Australia’s Royal Prince Albert Hospital, Sydney was asked to comment about the 2% survival rate. Unable to deny the validity of the study’s essential findings, Prof. Boyer… suggested that the figure for chemotherapy’s efficacy was actually somewhat higher than the study had concluded… when pushed, the most favorable figure he could come up with was that chemotherapy might actually be effective in 5 or 6% of cases (instead of around 2%!!)
NB: a) Incidentally, the results of the above study were not highlighted in a single major newspaper or other media outlet in the US! Why? In Australia, the coverage was very minimal. Why?
b) Would your oncologist show you this study?
c) FULL NOTES AND ACTUAL STUDY ARE AVAILAVBLE FOR FURTHER READING–PLEASE CHECK WITH US OR JUST GO INTO GOOGLE AND TYPE IN “AUSTRALIAN ONCOLOGISTS CRITICISE CHEMOTHERAPY.”
15) THE AMERICAN SOCIETY OF CLINICAL ONCOLOGY
At a closed door meeting (why closed door meeting?) of a select group of people during the American Society of Clinical Oncology Annual Conference in Chicago (2007), Dr Dennis Slamon MD, PHD, Chief of Oncology at the University of California at Los Angeles, revealed that his research had indicated that the widely used antracycline chemo-drugs such as Adriamycin (doxorubicin) provide no benefit whatsoever to about 92% of breast cancer patients.. Only 8% of all women with breast cancer – those who over-express a specific gene called Topoll-2 stand to benefit from antracycline–based chemotherapy, since these drugs work by directly targeting Topoll-2. The fact that over 90% of women who are given anthracycline–based chemotherapy can expect to derive absolutely no benefit – and potentially considerable harm from this treatment is a momentous admission. It is all the more remarkable coming from a source as unimpeachable as Dr Slamon, the executive vice chair for research for UCLA’s Department of Medicine.
IN CONCLUDING THIS ARTICLE, let us go through some quotations from 5 other prominent ONCOLOGISTS as we struggle to understand why chemotherapy might not work for you:-
1) ”Medical treatment of cancer for most of the past century was like trying to fix an automobile without any knowledge of the internal combustion engine or, for that matter, even the ability to look under the hood” (page 63). And on the subject of quality of life (QOL), Dr Faquet said …. In practice QOL is often invoked by tumor-focused physicians to justify to themselves and their despondent patients, the use of inefficacious chemotherapy oblivious of the fact that such decision usually lead to more suffering without mitigating benefits (page 89) ….. cytotoxic chemotherapy in its present form will neither eradicate cancer nor alleviate suffering”(page 89) ~ THE WAR ON CANCER: ANATOMY OF FAILURE, A BLUE PRINT FOR THE FUTURE by Dr Guy B. Faquet, a Professor of Hematology and Oncology at Medical college of Georgia and the University of Texas Medical Branch.
2) “Many medical oncologists recommend chemotherapy for virtually any tumor, with a hopefulness undiscouraged by almost invariable failure.” Dr Albert Braverman MD, Professor of Oncology, State University of New York 1991 The Lancet 1991 337 p 901 ~ “Medical Oncology in the 90s”
3) Chemotherapy, in fact, destroys everything. It is a given fact that it dramatically exhausts the cells of the marrow and of the blood, thus allowing a greater spreading of the infection. It irreversibly intoxicates the liver, thus preventing it from building new elements of defense, and it mercilessly knocks out nerve cells, thus weakening the organism’s reactive capabilities and delivering it to the invaders. This is mainly because it is not clear how it affects the colonies, and because by strongly debilitating the organism such intervention makes the invasion of the mycetes faster and more ferocious. ~Dr. Tullio Simoncini,MD , AN ONCOLOGIST IN ITALY.
4) ”Should I ever get cancer, I would never ever allow myself to be treated in a conventional cancer clinic. Only cancer victims who stay away from such centres would have a chance of survival.” ~ Prof. Dr. Georges Mathé, a French cancer specialist and Oncologist.
5) And finally, Dr Glenn Warner, MD and Oncologist summed it all……”WE HAVE A MULTI-BILLION DOLLAR INDUSTRY THAT IS KILLING PEOPLE, LEFT AND RIGHT, JUST FOR FINANCIAL GAIN. THEIR IDEA OF RESEARCH (OR TREATMENT) IS TO SEE WHETHER TWO (2) DOSES OF THIS POISON IS BETTER THAN THREE (3) DOSES OF THAT POISON”……DE SPIEGEL 2000 (IN THE 1990s DR WARNER’S MEDICAL LICENCE WAS REVOKED BECAUSE HE PRACTISED THE HOLISTIC APPROACH TO HEALING CANCER).
And one last interesting point .. .do you know that…
- Vast Majority of Oncologists would NOT use Chemotherapy if they got Cancer.
- 75% of Americans diagnosed with cancer are said to receive chemotherapy treatment, prescribed by their oncologists.
- 75% of oncologists also said that if they had cancer, they themselves would NOT use chemotherapy treatment.
(Obtained from McGill Cancer Center survey (1986), in: John Robbins, “Reclaiming Our Health”, 1998)
SO AFTER READING THE SUMMARIES OF THE ABOVE BOOKS, DON’T YOU THINK THAT CHEMOTHERAPY TREATMENT IS ONE BIG EXPENSIVE AND PAINFUL GAMBLE?
PLEASE NOTE THAT THE ABOVE NOTES ARE ALL EXTRACTED VERBATIM FROM THE RESPECTIVE PAGES OF THE VARIOUS BOOKS BY THE VARIOUS PROMINENT MEDICAL ONCOLOGISTS.
THE BOOKS REVIEWED AS ARE AVAILABLE FOR FURTHER READING/VERIFICATION IF SO DESIRED.
1) IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO READ MORE ABOUT CHEMOTHERAPY DRUG RESISTANCE , GO TO WWW.BOOKS.GOOGLE .COM AND TYPE IN CHEMOTHERAPY DRUG RESISTANCE AND YOU WILL FIND PLENTY OF BOOKS TO READ ON THE SUBJECT. WE RECOMMEND THE FOLLOWING BOOKS:
A) DRUG RESISTANCE IN THE TREATMENT OF CANCER by DR HM Pinedo, Dr Guiseppe Giaccone,MD
(Read Chapter 1—Resistance mechanisms to Antimetabolites and Chapter 2—Resistance to antitumor alkylating agents and cisplatin
B) DRUG RESISTANCE IN CANCER by Dr James H Goldie, Dr Andrew James Goldman. (Read Chapter 7—Clinical predictions of the random mutation model)
C) DRUG RESISTANCE IN ONCOLOGY by Dr Samuel D Bernal, MD. (Read Chapter 9—Intrinsic drug resistance in human colon cancer— A clinical perspective)
D) PHYSICIAN’S CANCER CHEMOTHERAPY MANUAL 2005 by Dr Edward Chu, MD and Dr Vincent De Vita, MD. (Read page 11 onwards—Apoptosis, Cell Cycle control and Resistance to Chemotherapy)
E) THE ANTICANCER DRUGS by Dr William Pratt, Raymond Ruddon, William Ensminger and Jonathan Maybaum. (Read Chapter 4—Resistance to Anticancer Drugs (from page 50 onwards read about P-glycoprotein, methotrexate, multidrug resistance)
F) THE CHEMOTHERAPY SOURCE BOOK by Dr Michael C Perry, MD. (Read Chapter 3—Drug Resistance)
NB: ALL THE AUTHORS OF THE ABOVE 6 BOOKS ARE PROMINENT MDs, CANCER SCIENTISTS, CANCER RESEARCHERS FROM PROMINENT INSTITUTIONS LIKE THE SLOAN–MEMORIAL CANCER CENTER,THE DANA FARBER CANCER CENTER, MD ANDERSON CANCER HOSPITAL, ETC
2) CANCER: WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW (about Surgery, Chemotherapy, Radiotherapy, Pharmaceutical Drugs and the Politics of Cancer by Dr Chris Teo)
3) GETTING IT RIGHT (a book of quotations from established medical journals and renowned medical experts by Dr Chris Teo).
4) SELECTED NEWSLETTERS FROM WEBSITE: WWW.CACARE.COM
a) Letter No 37: Why the Americans lost the War on Cancer
b) Letter No 47: Uncovering the Truth about Chemotherapy
c) Letter No 54: Cancer War: Bad Strategy, Smart Enemy-A Crashed Dream
d) Letter No 59a: A Hot Year for Oncology
e) Letter No 60: Cancer Wars and Their Disastrous Outcomes.
f) Letter No 61: What Makes Chemotherapy so costly?
g) Letter No 66a: Are Cancer Patients Over Treated and Over Medicated?
5) WHAT YOU REALLY NEED TO KNOW ABOUT CANCER by Dr. Robert Buckman in collaboration with specialists at The MD Anderson Cancer Centre, Texas. (read Chapter 9 – With So Many Breakthroughs, Why’s There No Progress?)
6) AUSTRALIAN ONCOLOGISTS CRITICIZE CHEMOTHERAPY by Associate Professor Graeme Morgan, a Radiation Oncologist and Professor Robyn Ward, a Medical Oncologist in Australia and Dr Michael Barton, MD, a radiation oncologist. (all three oncologists did a research study on “ THE CONTRIBUTION OF CYTOTOXIC CHEMOTHERAPY TO 5-YEAR SURVIVAL IN ADULT MALIGNANCIES” which was published in the journal CLINICAL ONCOLOGY in 2004) …(COPIES AVAILABLE FOR READING)
7) ARTICLE: WHY 75% OF DOCTORS WOULD REFUSE CHEMOTHERAPY (just go to the Internet –Google or Yahoo and type in the above title and you will find a lot to read which your oncologist will never tell you).
8) ARTICLE: HOW MODERN MEDICINE KILLED MY BROTHER by Dr Russell Blaylock, MD, author of Natural Strategies for Cancer Patients. In the book read chapter 3- Chemotherapy: Poisoning Cancer (and You ).
9) WHAT DOCTORS DON’T TELL YOU by Dr Lynne McTaggart (read about the truth of the dangers of modern medicine. Chemotherapy is cited in pages 223 to 229).
10) DVD: CANCER TALK by Dr Alfonso Wong, an oncologist from Hong Kong…..in the DVD, Dr Wong clearly explained that if after the first 4-6 cycles of chemotherapy there is no progress, then further chemotherapy will be futile…
11) DVD: DRUGS NEVER CURE DISEASE by Dr Lorraine Day, MD, a trauma surgeon and a breast cancer survivor. She had surgery to remove the big lump in her chest but refused any radiotherapy or chemotherapy…………….read more about her in her website……….www.drday.com
OTHER RELATED REFERENCES
1) THE TRUTH ABOUT THE DRUG COMPANIES by Dr Marcia Angell, MD, former editor in chief of the New England Journal of Medicine (read How they deceive us and what to do about it)
2) DEATH BY PRESCRIPTION by Dr Ray Strand, MD, (the shocking Truth behind an overmedicated nation).
3) THE POLITICS OF CANCER REVISITED by Dr Samuel S. Epstein, MD (in this book, Dr Epstein indicts the NCI, US and the American Cancer Society for responsibility in losing the cancer war).
4) THE CANCER INDUSTRY by Dr Ralph Moss, PhD (The classic expose of the Cancer Establishment –read chapter 5 CHEMOTHERAPY).
5) CANCER AND NATURAL MEDICINE by Dr John Boik, PhD (read Chapter 9 – The Treatment of Cancer by Conventional Medicine).
6) THE HEALING OF CANCER – The cures and the cover-ups by Barry Lynes.
7) QUESTIONING CHEMOTHERAPY—by Dr Ralph Moss, PhD….Dr Moss was formerly a director in the prestigious Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Centre, USA. He was sacked after he published a scientific study (conducted by researchers in the Cancer centre itself) that an alternative treatment method is effective.
8) WWW.CANCERDECISIONS.COM – Operated by Dr Ralph Moss. On the home page, just type in the name of the drug (for example Avastin ) and you will be led to Newsletters containing news on Avastin … news which your good Doctor/Oncologist will never tell you.